- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Put parchment paper at the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan or regular cake pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the buttermilk, egg yolks, and oil and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter with a spatula until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- Combine the sugar and the cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Add the egg yolks and stir well.
- Add the milk and the cream and whisk together.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring often to prevent scorching. .. or cook it in the microwave until boiling. .stirring every minute.
- Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes.
- Heat the cream over medium heat until it begins to bubble ..near boil.
- Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips and stir until smooth.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Slice the cake in half as shown.
- Pour a bit of custard over the bottom layer and let sit for awhile to set. . .add more when you can see it won't run over the sides. .the custard will have to be just slightly warm or even cooler for it not to run over.
- Put the top layer over the custard.
- Drizzle over the chocolate ganache and chill until ready to serve.