Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Drunken Sailors

So.... another pregnancy craving drove me to try this recipe. If you are feeling a little scandalous I urge you to give it a try! And of course it involves the deep fryer, so you know I recommend it! I call it Drunken Sailors....but really if you must know they are Fish tacos battered in beer.






Shopping List:


3 Fish filets (I recommend tilapia, but Halibut is probably great if you are a high roller!)
Small corn tortillas - 2-3 per person
Bag of shredded cabbage


Oil for frying


Batter:
1 - 1 1/2 cups of Beer  I used Budweiser because I couldnt tell you a thing about beer, and I couldnt bring myself to go buy it, so my bff Amy did the dirty work for me! Thats the sign of a true friend - willing to embrace the appearance of evil for you!
1 cup of flour
3T corn starch
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste - be generous


White Sauce:
1 T minced capers
1 minced jalepeno
1T Cumin
1/2 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (go easy if  you dont want heartburn!)
4 oz plain yoghurt
4 oz mayo




  1. Get out yer deep fryer, fill with oil, and start heating it up!
  2. Whip together the white sauce ingredients and set aside. Dont skip the capers or jalepeno - it seems minimal but the sauce was DIVINE and wouldnt be great without them. 
  3. Next, cut your fish into strips. Gently coat in some flour.
  4. Whip up the beer batter ( mix together dry ingredients, then add wet)
  5. Dredge floured fish strips in batter until well coated. 
  6. Drop in deep fryer or skillet. Fry until golden brown.
  7. Place fish in corn tortilla, top with shredded cabbage, and DROWN it in white sauce!
  8. Enjoy your drunken sailors!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Would luv to try these! I can't wait for our cookbook filled with all these great recipes!