(photo courtesy of vittleante)
This is my favorite mexican soup. Gluten free - and adapted from The Barefoot Contessa's recipe. Enjoy!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups chopped onions (2 onions)
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 2 cups chopped carrots (4 carrots)
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 boxes of chicken stock (or 4 cans)
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 to 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (skip these if you are feeding kids)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- 6 (6-inch) fresh white corn tortillas
Bake chicken ( I douse mine with paprika, cumin, garlic powder, cariander, and lots of salt!) then shred. set aside. In large pot, saute onions, carrots, and celery until onions are translucent. Add garlic and saute another 5 mins. Add chicken stock and can of tomatoes. Dump in cooked shredded chicken. Add spices and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer over medium heat until carrots are fork tender (about an hour or less). Cut tortillas into thin strips and dump into soup. Stir until well incorporated and soft.
Ladle into bowls, top with cilantro, shredded cheese, and a dallop of sour cream!