Heres a very easy bread recipe that doesnt require a lengthy rising process or kneading extravaganza. And I know you have everything you need to make these just sitting around in your pantry. Excellent! The perfect cure for the Italian meal where you need a quick and easy side dish that everyone will love.
1 stick of butter
1 T olive oil
2T dry basil
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1T baking powder
1 cup of milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (for dough)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 425
- place butter and oil in 9x13 dish, let melt in oven. Dont burn it!!!
- Remove pan from oven, set aside
- In mixer throw in dry ingredients, stir
- Gradually add milk until dough forms
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface
- knead 5 times or until dough is together and forming a ball
- roll out into a rectangle - 9x13
- place dough directly in dish on top of melted oil/butter
- sprinkle top with cheese
- with a pizza cutter, cut dough into 1/2 inch thick sticks
- bake for 20 minutes...and serve hot!
*** You could easily make these sweet and sticky by adding in some brown sugar and cinnamon to the butter in the pan. (Youll want to omit the cheese and basil from the dough too..obviously!***
Sundried tomatos, scallions, parmesan cheese, garlic, goat cheese, spinach, paprika, coriander, cumin, caraway or sesame seeds.