Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Christy's Famous Fatty Corn Chowder
For some time now I have been serving up steaming bowls of liquid fat called "Corn Chowder". This recipe is derived from my mother in law Shelley Beal's original recipe. I added some things here and there (chicken, extra butter, more cheese...you know, essential items). And now this has become a family favorite. Here is the whole fam-damily size version (feeds 15-20 hungry people). If you are just making this for your family of 4, cut it in half! ENJOY!
1. Cook and shred 3-5 chicken breasts, salted and peppered (I always just throw frozen ones in the oven and bake them for 2 hours)
2. In huge pot boil up 6-8 large Idaho potatoes (chopped into cubes). Drain BUT RESERVE and set aside 3 CUPS OF POTATO WATER! Place potatoes in large bowl and set aside.
3. In same huge pot melt 1 stick of butter
4. Stir in 1/3 cup of flour until a glue forms
5. Slowly stir in 2 quarts of half and half (yes, you can use fat free if you are a sissy)
This should make a thick soup base for you.
6. Dump in 3 cups of potato water
7. Dump in potatoes
8. Dump in chicken
9. Dump in 2 cans of creamed corn
10. Dump in a large bag of fresh/frozen/ or canned corn (4-5 cans)
11. Shred 2-4 cups of cheddar cheese and stir into soup. I always use 4 :)
12. Ladle into bread bowls and top with MORE cheese, and of course COOKED CRUMBLY bacon.
13. Eat as much as you can stand and then promptly find a sleeping area and lie down.
14. If possible have a loved one wipe the drizzles from your face and shirt.
The rule with this soup is: the more the better. More cheese. More bacon. More fat. More happy.